Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Rubber: Review

Rubber
Directed by:Quentin Dupieux



Imitation, satire, is the highest form of flattery. In Rubber, Quentin Dupieux, aka Mr. Oizo, pays his respects to 70's style revenge and exploitation films. Those are some of my favorite by the way, just in case you wanted to send me something for uh Valentine's or like Jamie Appreciation Day.

So, I need to be upfront with you. Originally, this review was a snarky paragraph about the slow first half hour of the movie. Maybe I built it up too much before the first viewing. Oooh. Mr. Oizo directing a moody car tire in a movie! I gotta see that, it's going to win an Oscar. Thankfully, my coworker urged me to finish it and I wrote a proper review.

Rubber is an absurd movie for the sake of absurdity and it does that, apologetically, from start to finish. In it's opening scenes we, the audience, are directly told, this movie doesn't make any sense. It has no reason and is a celebration of nonsense. Though I was initially put off that the director didn't trust me to come to such a simple conclusion myself, I let the idea sink in. Hmm. There is this son of a bitch tire rolling around the desert and blowing up spiders, bunnies, and oh yes people. To make it worse, this "guy" is taking showers and watching T.V. in someone's hotel room! Freeloader right?



I empathize with nothing in this film, man nor rubber. Characters don't really develop but they don't really need to. Everyone is just potential tire bait. The beginning and ending do not need to be absolute or clear just cuz. Its absurb remember?

I liked it. There were some beautiful head explosions, a pretty hipster girl, some truly funny moments("You're nothing but a rubber shit."), and some nice camera work. Said camera work, though crisp and clear throughout, can be distracting. You get long shots of the demon wheel rolling around, then there's rack focusing, then some more rolling, wide shot, close shot, and so on. Maybe the ever changing camera techniques are meant to keep you on the jumpy side. Maybe I'm just judging too hard. Its just...a little distracting. I did love Mr. Oizo's trippy house soundtrack! If I can remember it correctly, electronic music is the perfected music of tires.

Here's somethings to remember if you don't want to end up like this:


1. If your father says, Hey son lets go watch that tire blow up shit, DECLINE.
2. Those who fight over rotisserie chicken....usually die.
3. Don't ever kick, burn, piss on, or look at a tire in the wrong way.
4. Remember, every tire that you insensitively abandon off the road becomes inhabited with a vengeful soul.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar