While reviewing my reading list and statistics for 2018, I was struck by its haphazardness and began to wonder whether I'd carried the whole free-range reading idea a little too far. In addition, my classics reading is dramatically lower. I'll have more to say in my year-end posts, but for now it's clear that more structure is needed in 2019.
To that end, I have decided to take part in Back to the Classics Challenge 2019 hosted by Karen at Books and Chocolate. It's been years since I've participated in any reading challenge, but this sounds like a good one.
Karen says:
I hope to encourage readers and bloggers to tackle all the classic books we've never gotten around to reading. And at the end, one lucky winner will receive a $30 (US) gift of books from Amazon.com or The Book Depository! The rules and the prize are the same as last year, but I think I've come up with some fun new categories.
If you're new to the challenge, here's how it works:Here are the twelve categories and the book I've selected for each. My choices will probably change as the year progresses, but I understand that's allowed ;-)
Complete six categories, and you'll get one entry in the drawing;
Complete nine categories, and you'll get two entries in the drawing;
Complete all twelve categories, and you'll get three entries in the drawing.
The Categories:
1. 19th Century Classic: Rachel Ray by Anthony Trollope
2. 20th Century Classic: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
3. Classic by a Female Author: Delta Wedding by Eudora Welty
4. Classic in Translation: Grand Hotel by Vicki Baum
5. Classic Comedy: Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
6. Classic Tragedy: The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
7. Very Long Classic: Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
8. Classic Novella: The Bunner Sisters by Edith Wharton
9. Classic From the Americas (includes the Caribbean): The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
10. Classic From Africa, Asia, or Oceania (includes Australia): Some Prefer Nettles by Junichiro Tanizaki
11. Classic From a Place You've Lived: The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald
12. Classic Play: Our Town by Thornton Wilder
This challenge will help me make some much-needed progress with my second Classics Club list, too. Wish me luck! Have you considered this challenge?


0 Yorumlar